Christmas Cauliflower Cheese

Cauliflower is a healthy seasonal vegetable and cauliflower cheese is a nice warming dish when temperatures are dropping outside. It also makes a fantastic side dish as it can accompany both traditional roasts and vegetarian Christmas dinners. It is an excellent choice to complement a nut roast as it is not too heavy.

Below is a quick and easy cauliflower cheese recipe for you to try.

Ingredients:
1 large cauliflower head
5 tbsp grated cheddar
4 tbsp butter
8 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp grated root ginger
1 grated orange rind

Salt & pepper
Pinch of nutmeg

How to make Christmas Cauliflower Cheese:

Step 1. Cut the cauliflower into small florets.

Step 2. Add to pan of lightly salted boiling water for 10 minutes. Drain, transfer to an oven proof dish and keep warm.

Step 3. For the sauce, put the oil and butter in a pan and heat gently until the butter melts. Add the grated orange peel and root ginger and simmer for 2-3 minutes.

Step 4. Add the salt and pepper to taste and the nutmeg.

Step 5. Pour the sauce over the vegetables and sprinkle the cheese on top.

Step 6. Place dish under a pre-heated grill on medium heat for 2-4 minutes or until the cheese turns golden.

Step 7. Add parsley to garnish and serve.

You can buy all the ingredients and have plenty of change from £10 so it is perfect for what is possibly the most expensive time of the year. Cauliflower itself is a classic winter vegetable and costs very little. It is also very good for you as it contains anti-oxidants and high levels of vitamin C, vital for keeping your immune system strong to ward off winter colds.

This dish is a tasty addition to the table and as it only takes 20 minutes to prepare and cook, it is perfect for Christmas day when you have so many other things to think about.

Other ideas for Christmas side dishes could include mini puff pastry cases with a filling to complement your main meal, spicy peas and spinach or stuffed aubergines. You could always create a mini version of a favourite stew or salad to serve on the side.

Ask round your family and friends for ideas or have a look online. Could you add something to a regular dish to make it festive, orange, and cinnamon or some spices? Be creative – it’s Christmas.

Comments

1. Nicole Dz says:

My kids hate eating there veggies, but this looks like an awesome recipe to get them to try, and when it has cheese in it or on it, it works! I bet this would be awesome pair with some pork chops.

2. Birdiebee says:

This vegetable dish looks so delicious. I am going to try it out on my family.

3. shaunie says:

I never thought to add these two together . looks delicious I would definitely have as a side for one of my meals

4. Kathleen Ophelan says:

Such a great healthy alternative to mashed potatoes! Love it!

5. This looks good! Thank you!

6. Patrycja Chudziak says:

I <3 Cauliflower!!! And this looks absolutely amazingly delicious!!!!!

7. Holly Storm-Burge says:

Love Cauliflower. Thanks for the recipe!

8. Mariaelena Dominguez says:

This looks delicious and easy! I might have to try it out since ill be making our own Christmas dinner for the first time

9. Michele R says:

This looks delicious.

10. This might be a good way to make it to where my son would actually try it! *crosses fingers*

11. Dianna Thomas says:

I am recipe nut–its one of my favorite things to do on blogs ,just to see whats cooking. This sounds pretty taste–and can see doing it very soon–thanks for sharing

12. This looks so yummy! I love cauliflower and will have to try this soon.

13. Wow. This looks amazing!!

14. Yum! I never know how to make cauliflower good – this looks really good, gonna have to try it next time I have some in m fridge!

15. Michelle Heasley (Car Seat) says:

Thank you for sharing. I am going to have to try this. Sounds so yummy.

16. Looks so delicious! Thank you for the recipe

17. Sandy VanHoey says:

Oh this looks amazing! I love cauliflower but always end up making it the same way. So glad you shared this.

18. This would make an excellent side dish! I’ll have to give this a try!

19. Kristin Bertsch says:

I’ve been looking for a recipe like this one!

20. Stephanie w says:

This looks yummy

21. What a great recipe for Christmas dinner. My mom would just love this!

22. I love Cauliflower and pairing it with cheese it’s so delicious. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I’m definitely going to make this. Happy Holidays.
    Carol L.

23. Yum this recipe sounds delicious!

24. wow never thought of eating cauliflower and cheese– i haven’t ate something like that in a long time! thanks for sharing
    courtney b recently posted..Mila’s 1st Birthday